November 14th, 2013 by Dominick Accattato
When I started working with Red5 on a daily basis, I always wanted a better way to develop and run my Red5 applications locally. Mainly my intentions were around efficiency, but eclipse plugin development also appealed to me from a tooling perspective.
I believe it was back in 2009 when I first thought about adding Red5 development support to the Eclipse IDE. I spent about a week reading a few Eclipse development books until I felt comfortable enough to step into the Plugin perspective. From there, things progressed fairly quick although I didn’t really understand completely the best practices with generating projects and resources within that project. However, as with each open source project there is a limited amount of time in the day and it was working enough to release it to the community. I’m still not entirely happy that I chose to use Ant for the resource copying and would gladly take a look at refactoring that functionality.
My first release had support for generating not only the Red5 serverside application, but also the Flex client project. In addition, there was support for an array of open source Flash libraries including Jedai which was a Red5 application framework that encompassed both the serverside and clientside. On my second release of the plugin, I stripped Jedai as well as the other Flash library resources. I had found it was going to be a pain to manage the dependencies from within the plugin. That and we weren’t supporting Jedai anymore as an opensource framework.
Since this time, the Red5Plugin got pretty stale and I hadn’t paid much attention to it. In fact, it’s been quite a few years even though some members of the community asked for its source to be opened. It was always my goal to release the plugin, but I just needed time to clean up the code and make sure it compiled with newer versions of Eclipse. The good news is that I did in fact take the time over the past few days to clean up the project.
That said, I’ve updated some of the code to target newer versions of Eclipse. The latest update site can be found at the following URL:
In addition, and even more in line with the spirit of open source, I have placed the source code up on our Infrared5 Github account for the community to comb through. I am still very much interested in putting some TLC into the plugin and giving it some much deserved attention. I’ll think over the next few weeks about some new features and may discuss these over the project’s wiki page. In the mean time, feel free to clone the project and if you’re unfamiliar with Eclipse development, you may get the same amount of enjoyment that I got when I originally wrote the plugin. I’d love to hear from anyone who wishes to help out with some of the development and or documentation.
Go ahead and check out the new Open Source Red5 IDE